Recipes... prunes with panache...
Chicken Rillettes with Walnut, Celery, Chervil and Fetta on Grilled Sourdough Toasts with Prune Butter
Preparation time: 40 minutes
A great dish for some canapes, or made bigger with asparagus and rocket salad
for a light fresh lunch
100g soften butter diced
200g Australian prunes, softened
salt and pepper
zest and juice of 1 orange
200g approx. chicken breast (or pick approx 200g meat off leftover roast chicken)
1 garlic clove
1 bay leaf
½ lemon peel
½ bunch thyme chopped and stalks kept
100ml wine white
50g chopped walnuts
1 stick of celery finely chopped
1 sourdough baguette
100g creamy fetta
50g of chervil
1. Process and blend until smooth and creamy. Season to taste and place in fridge.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and toast bread with olive oil and salt for about 10min or until golden.
2. In a medium saucepan, add 1L water, wine, garlic, thyme stalks, lemon peel, bay leaf and bring to boil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Lower heat and add raw chicken breast and poach for 20min on simmer turning once at 10min.
4. Remove chicken breast and once cool, shred with hands into thin strips. Reduce chicken liquid until almost gone then add butter.
5. Strain liquid through a sieve and pour over chicken and add walnuts, chopped thyme, chopped chervil and celery. Mix with hands until all combined and season to taste with lemon zest, salt and pepper. Set aside in fridge.
1. Take bread toast and spread with prune butter. Top with chicken mixture, crumble the fetta over the top and garnish with remaining chervil.
2. Serve warm on platter or plated with asparagus, rocket and a nice dressing for heartier lunch option.
Recipe owned by: The Australian Prune Industry Association @ausprunes
Recipe Created by: Nick Gardner, Head Chef of Eschalot, Berrima @the_social_cook @eschalot_restaurant_e2_events
Dish styled by: Lisa Madigan @lisamadigan
Photographs by: Lean Timms @leantimms